This Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole is a very delicious and mildly sweet side dish that is perfect for any time of the year but especially for the holidays.
It is quite normal for me to serve this as a side dish during the special seasons of the year at my Vegan deli. My customers love it and usually ask for more the next day. What I share on this blog is truly my family and customers’ favorite. I myself happen to love sweet potatoes and you will find that in my soups and stew recipes I use quite a bit of them. If you look at my Lentil Stew and Peas Soup and Dumpling recipe, you will see this.
Sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas) is an underground tuber that contains a lot of beta carotene. It is a powerful antioxidant that increases blood levels of vitamin A, especially in young children. Sweet potatoes are sweet, nutrient-dense, high in fiber, and satisfying. They can be fried, baked, steamed, or boiled.
Sweet potatoes are known worldwide as a sweet and starchy root vegetable. They are abundant in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber. Potatoes come in a variety of shapes and hues, including orange, white, and purple.
Potatoes are simple to incorporate into your diet and offer several health advantages. Another name for sweet potato is yams. Yams are a distinct species, this is a misnomer. Sweet potatoes are only distantly related to regular potatoes.
Health Benefits of Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
- Carbohydrates make up most sweet potatoes. Starch is the primary source of carbohydrates, followed by fiber. Even though potato is a root vegetable that has a relatively low protein content, it is a significant source of protein in many underdeveloped nations.
- Starchy root foods like sweet potatoes are high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Additionally, they include a lot of antioxidants, which guard your body against chronic illness and harm from free radicals.
- Fiber and antioxidants included in sweet potatoes help to produce healthy gut bacteria and support overall gut health.
- The anthocyanins and other antioxidants included in sweet potatoes may offer some cancer protection, according to research conducted on animals and in test tubes.
- Beta-carotene and anthocyanins, antioxidants that may help in preserving vision and enhancing eye health, are abundant in sweet potatoes.
- Among their many advantages, sweet potatoes may help with blood sugar control and lower oxidative stress.
- According to studies on animals, sweet potatoes can protect against mental decline and reduce inflammation in the brain. However, it is uncertain if potatoes will help to protect adults from mental decline.
- Sweet potato has a powerful antioxidant, known as beta-carotene. Beta-carotene, an antioxidant found in sweet potatoes can be converted to vitamin A.
Here is what the recipe looks like. Honestly, this recipe is a true winner that you can enjoy with family and friends, or even while alone.
Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
The nutrition facts for 3.5 ounces (100 grams) of raw sweet potatoes are
● Calories: 86
● Water: 77%
● Protein: 1.6 grams
● Carbs: 20.1 grams
● Sugar: 4.2 grams
● Fiber: 3 grams
● Fat: 0.1 grams
CAKE MIXER OF IMMERSION BLENDER
- 4 Medium-sized sweet potato
- 2 tsp. Vanilla
- 2 tbsp. Maple Syrup
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 2 tsp. Coriander or cinnamon
- 1 cup Soy or nut milk or coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. molasses
- ½ cup crushed nuts
- 3 T sugar or maple syrup
- ⅓ cup unbleached flour
- 2 T plant-based butter
Wash sweet potato and pierce with a fork. Before baking wrap in foil paper.
Bake until soft and juices are appearing, at 350ºF for about an hour.
Allow it to cool, then peel sweet potato and add remaining ingredients.
Or you can peel and boil for about 10-15 minutes or until the fork can go through.
Pour off the water and add the other ingredients and mash with an fork, or an immersion or cake mixer.
Pour into casserole dish and add topping..
Bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes.
Sweet potatoes for weight loss
1. Compared to potatoes, sweet potatoes have fewer calories. Therefore, having a medium-baked or roasted sweet potato as a snack might not be detrimental to your weight loss efforts.
2. When eaten with the skin on, sweet potatoes are extremely high in fiber. The tendency of dietary fiber to absorb water makes you feel fuller for longer, which makes it easier for you to stick to a diet low in calories. Regular potatoes are less healthful than their cousins because they contain less fiber.
3. It’s well known that sweet potatoes suppress appetite. Sweet potatoes can decrease fat cells, according to a study that was published in the Journal of Medicinal Food.
4. Sweet potatoes are a great source of essential nutrients that can keep you healthy while you lose weight.
5. They are regarded as low-glycemic foods that effectively support weight maintenance since they do not immediately boost blood sugar levels. Conditions like obesity and diabetes can be brought on by an unstable blood glucose level.
6. Sweet potatoes are excellent for weight loss due to their high water content. Your metabolism is slowed down by dehydration, which contributes to weight gain and other health issues. Consuming sweet potatoes increases metabolic activity in the body and helps in cell hydration. As a result, your body will be less likely to store fat, maintain a healthy pH balance, and eliminate toxins.
Sweet potatoes are colorful root vegetables that are high in nutrients. They include lots of fiber and antioxidants, which guard your body against the harm caused by free radicals and support a healthy gut and brain. Additionally, beta-carotene, which is turned into vitamin A to support healthy vision and your immune system, is extraordinarily abundant in them.
Since they can be used in both sweet and savory meals, sweet potatoes are a fantastic carbohydrate choice for most individuals.
It will be a pleasure if you will join my family on FaceBook at Something Better Today.
No ingredients could be found for this recipe.
No instructions could be found for this recipe.
Leave a Reply