- Course: Dessert
A staple of tropical regions like where I am born, plantain is larger and just as sweet as bananas when left to ripen. However, it is not eaten raw like bananas, because it is too starchy. Higher in potassium than bananas, it is rich in vitamin A and low in fat and sodium.
Plantains can be baked, steamed, boiled, and added to baked goods like bananas. Good as a sweet side or if green can be less sweet and a bit more savory. Flour can be made from the plantain to make baked goods like bread.
Pictured above are the ingredients found in the cassava bread.
- Unbleached white flour-this flour is better because it is aluminum free. There are so many questions about the use of flour that is not aluminum free.
- Aluminum-free baking powder-this choice of baking powder is best as it is free of aluminum which has been a topic of discussion lately.
- Coconut oil benefits the skin, reduces hunger, helps with weight loss, protects hair, improves oral health, and much more.
- Coconut milk prevents anemia, it is an anti-inflammatory, balances electrolytes, and more.
- Plantain when ripe can be used in bread,
- Cinnamon is a great spice for bread like this.
Blend or mash the plantain. If you are blending, simply blend with milk and oil until smooth/ Make certain that the plantains are ripe. Once all the ingredients are in, simply pour them into a greased pan. You can top with walnuts or nuts of your choice.
Place in the oven and allow to bake until golden brown. To know that it is done simply take a knife and insert it in the middle. Once it comes out dry, it is finished.
Slice and enjoy with friends and family.
- 1 1/2 cups white unbleached flour
- 1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat flour or Spelt
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tablespoons Baking Powder, Aluminum free
- 1 cup ` Oil or Plant Based Margarine
- 1 cup Coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 large ripe plantains
- For: 8
- Preparation: 20 min
- Cooking: 1 h
- Ready in: 1 h 20 min
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a large mixing bowl add all dry ingredients.
- Blend or mash your plantain with a fork or a blender. Add all the liquid ingredients to the blender.
- Add all the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix well
- Pour into the baking pan 12 inches by 12 inches. Or simply make muffins.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes or until golden brown. To check for doneness you can insert a knife in the middle. If it comes out clean, it is done.
Benefits of Plantains:
- Plantain, like bananas, is excellent for weight loss as it is filled with fiber and gives a feeling of fullness.
- The high fiber found in the planting is great for digestive issues like constipation.
- The high levels of potassium found in plantain help to protect the heart function.
- Because of its high fiber content, it is great for lowering cholesterol levels.
- It is very versatile and can be used instead of potato, in pancakes, bread, and more.
Leave a Reply